No rest for the wicked and no respite from the chili. We are at it every day, holidays included. 359 straight days of chili and today I have fully depleted what was (in January) a massive stash of antacids. Feverishly eating an entire bag of ghost pepper flavored popcorn has contributed to my tummy trouble. As they say, fight fire with more snack food.
Here is your holiday bonus. The funniest snack related piece of satire is here.
4 C wheat Chex
4 C corn Chex
2 C peanuts
2 C pretzels
6 T butter
1 ½ T Worcestershire Sauce
2 t Sriracha sauce
1 T chili powder
½ t cumin
½ t paprika
½ t Mexican oregano
½ t seasoned salt
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, combine the snack ingredients and mix well.
- In a smaller microwave safe bowl, combine the seasoning ingredients.
- Heat the seasoning ingredients until butter is melt, mixing well.
- Pour the seasoning over the snack materials, mixing well.
- Microwave for a total of 4 minutes, mixing after each minute.
I had wanted to use little rye crisps in the snack mix. Unfortunately, the variety I purchased contained caraway. Caraway is evil and, in the spirit of avoiding evil, I avoiding adding the caraway flavored rye crisps to the snack mix.
The snack mix (sans caraway, plus chili flavor) was delicious. I was able to garner a few ‘hey Dad, you actually did a good job on this one” comments. I was totally feeling the love. The chili chex mix is not a radical departure from well-established and ubiquitous standard recipe, but it is a pleasantly, chili-y variation on them.