There is more to lasagna than mozzarella, Fella.
As for ground beef, that’s so 1950, Chief.
And pasta sauce? il est très passé, Hoss.
To hell with the rhyme, time to bust the paradigm. Lasagna my way. (Okay?)
4 cooked lasagna noodles, torn
1 lb boneless pork chops, diced
1 Anaheim Chilie, deseeded and chopped
1 T chili powder
1 t onion powder
1 t cumin
½ t garlic salt
1 ½ C chopped tomatillos (I used canned)
1 T lime juice
1 egg, beaten
1 C cottage cheese
1 ½ C shredded pepper jack cheese
- Fry pork, Anaheim chilie, and seasonings until the pork is cooked through.
- Add tomatillos and lime juice and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Slowly stir in beaten egg (this will thicken the chili). Simmer 10 minutes.
- In a pie dish layer, noodles, cottage cheese, chili and pepper jack.
- Bake at 375F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest 20 minutes before serving.
The tortured poetry is a ruse of sorts. My finger is lacerated to the extent that typing is painful, as was cooking. I had intended to regale with stories of beef truck high jacking fantasies, but this will have to wait.
Mrs. Chili365 and I found the chili to be excellent. The green sauce and pepper jack were an outstanding departure from normal lasagna. Both elements jived nicely with the pork and spices. I loved this chili lasagna pie and will certainly make it again. The ITP was feeling less adventurous. Though they ate the chili, they were not nearly as enamored with it.