chili corn relish
so delish, perspective flips
relish corn chili
It is always the vegetarian chilis that beckon forth the haiku poet I have long tried to bury deep within the cellar of my subconscious.
Corn relish is a tastily versatile side which adds considerably more flair to a meal than would a wilty side salad or dreary old boiled peas. The secret is to get the texture of the corn tender crisp while imbuing the relish with an appropriately spicy tang.
3 ears of corn*
1 C diced red onion
1/4 C pickled jalapenos
1/2 C red wine vinegar
1 T sugar
1 T chili powder
1/2 t black pepper
* Don’t bother making this with canned or frozen corn. It requires fresh corn to achieve the proper texture and consistency.
1) Microwave corn until it is nearly fully cooked. This is about 3.5 minutes/ cob in our microwave.
2) Peel off the leaves and silk and compost them. Remove corn from cob with a knife.
3) Add corn and remaining ingredients to a jar or sealed plastic container.
4) Store in the fridge for serve hours.
Guest involuntary taste panel members found this relish “very spicy”. I mostly disagree with this contention, but the spicy corn relish may kick open your mouth and hold your taste buds hostage for a minute or two. In all seriousness, this relish was a wonderful accompaniment to a delicious meal. Additionally, the possible utilities as a condiment are endless. I envision the chili corn relish handsomely adorning hotdogs, hamburgers, and tortilla chips. As a bonus, it makes a sassy salsa.