Let’s face it, potatoes are overachievers. Despite being dealt a less-than-stellar hand in the “aesthetics” department, potatoes persistently and consistently deliver the goods. Taken several steps further, the spud has established itself as a bona fide meal mogul. Hashbrowns, French fries, soups and shepherd’s pies- it seems that potatoes have their starchy little hands in everything. Today we investigate potato salad, in the context of chili.
2 lb red potatoes
1/3 C mayonnaise
1/3 C sour cream
1 T chili powder
½ t celery salt
½ t coriander
1/3 C cooked bacon, cut into small pieces
¼ C pickled pepperoncini, chopped
¼ C chives, chopped
1) Wash potatoes and piece the skins with a knife.
2) Microwave until potatoes are fully cooked (about 14 minutes in my microwave).
3) Set potatoes aside, allowing them to cool.
4) In a microwave-safe container, mix mayo, sour cream, chili powder, celery salt, coriander, and bacon.
5) Microwave on the “defrost” setting for one minute.*
6) When the potatoes and sauce have cooled, mix potatoes, sauce, chives and pepperoncini in a bowl.
7) Serve or chill and then serve.
*If you are some sort of genius who knows how to set your microwave to the “low” setting, go ahead and use that to cook the sauce. I use “defrost” for cooking on low because my microwave is smarter than I am.
The ITP praised the chili. The Pirate even busted out a few stanzas of her soon-to-be-epic poem entitled “This Chili is Awesome”. Mrs. Chili365 was very pleased with the chili potato salad and went to lengths to compliment my choice of adding pepperoncini. Chili Jr. was very pleased with the chili potato salad and pointed out that pepperoncini was a poor choice for this dish. Reaching a chili consensus is a ridiculous and untenable balancing act. Breathe, practice mindfulness, and remember that when life has you down and you are certain that fate is against you, pick yourself up and get the hell going. Channel your inner potato.