Today’s chili is a break from the vegan chili-fare that had previously dominated this week’s offerings. A dashing display of decadent dairy dominance? Or an ovo-lacto orgy of ooey-gooey-goodness? (or an abundance of absolutely annoying alliteration?) Stay tuned- same chili time, same chili channel.
¼ C dry California chilies, diced fine
2 ½ C dry elbow macaroni
4 T butter
1 C half and half
2 eggs, lightly beaten
½ C milk
2 ½ C shredded cheddar cheese
1T chili powder
¾ C precooked bacon, diced
1) Rehydrate chilies by placing them in a cup of hot water. Cover and allow to sit for 30 minutes. Drain.
2) Cook macaroni according to package directions.
3) Drain macaroni and return it to pot. Place the pot back on the burner.
4) Set burner on low.
5) Add butter to the pot, and stir until butter is melted.
6) Add remaining ingredients (including rehydrated chilies BUT NOT THE BACON) and stir well.
7) Cook until the sauce has thickened.
8) Add bacon and stir well.
Light fare this is not. In fact, I estimate that fair-sized plastic container of the bacon chili mac and cheese could double as a boat anchor (did you hear that Canada?) Prohibitive density aside, it tasted pretty damn good. Sage suggestion- the subtle seduction of spicy sausage should sufficiently spruce up said supper.
The ITP says:
Mrs. Chili 365- did not like this chili (Ah Canadians, what can you do? Riff a little on Kraft Dinner and they balk.)
Chili Jr.- did not like this chili (Inherited the Canadian gene from mum)
Pre and The Pirate- Thought this chili was okay, but weren’t nearly as excited about it as I. Looks like I’ll have plenty of leftovers to snack on for lunch. I’ll just need a strong team of mules to haul it for me.