I had been idly wrestling with the question of whether a mushroom diet would be considered “vegan” in the Super Mario Brothers’ world. As the resident experts (Pre and Chili Jr.) weighed in, I began to feel as if I had somehow channeled Grace Slick’s “White Rabbit”- “One… makes larger and one… makes you small and the ones that mother gives you…” Jeez, this is rotting my brain. 133 straight days of chili is beginning to make touring with The Grateful Dead look like a Mormon mission.
Logic and proportion haven’t exactly fallen sloppy dead at Casa de Chili, but, buoyed by yesterday’s success, I’m at the lentils again.
½ C raw lentils
1 ½ C water
1 T chili powder
½ t Bavarian seasoning (Penzey’s)
½ t garlic pepper seasoning
½ C tomato sauce
12 oz portabella mushroom caps (for us, this was 10 total)
2 green onions, diced
½ C raw sweet peppers, diced
For the side:
Toasted sunflower seeds
1) Prepare mushroom caps by trimming off any remaining stem.
2) Place caps on a baking sheet and set aside.
3) Dice the mushroom stem pieces and set aside.
4) Rinse lentils and set them to boil in a pot with the water.
5) After boiling for 10 minutes, add seasonings, tomato sauce, diced mushroom stems, and green onion.
6) Turn heat down and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
7) Add diced sweet pepper and simmer 3 minutes.
8) Scoop chili into mushroom caps
9) Bake at 400F for 10 minutes.
10) Serve with rice and toasted sunflower seeds.
All, except Pre, that precious little island of extraordinary stubbornness, gave this chili high ratings. Enjoyed was the novelty of the stuffed mushroom caps and the rarity of a vegan meal. While the chili wasn’t spicy, it was earthy, perky, and satisfying. How did it stack up to last night’s lentil tour de force? It came close but the lentil chili from last night had the edge with all tasters. The Mushroom, Wine, and Lentil Chili would be apt when a spicier stew is in order. Tonight’s lentil chili stuffed mushroom caps bring to mind a fun appetizer. Either of these lentil chilis would be wholly appropriate when you just want to feed your head. Feed your head.