Bourbon, Bacon, and Chili- the hour of umamic* bliss is close at hand. Fire up the grill and let your mind flow. Young Grasshopper- sense, feel, BE the possibilities.
¼ C bourbon
¼ C brown sugar
¼ C soy sauce
¼ C precooked bacon, diced
2 t Chili 3000 seasoning (Penzey’s)
1 t chili powder
1 clove garlic, mashed
1 ½ lbs boneless pork, cubed
½ lb portabella mushrooms, sliced
1) Mix marinade ingredients in a small sauce pan.
2) Heat on low until marinade simmers.
3) Simmer on low for 5 minutes
4) Assemble Kabob ingredients on skewers.
5) Place kabobs in a plastic dish.
6) Pour marinade over kabobs.
7) Turning every hour or so, marinate for 4 hours at room temperature.
8) Grill over medium charcoal fire.
With bourbon in involved in the conversation, it is, at times it is hard to get a word in edgewise. Fortunately with this dish, bourbon’s efforts appear to be leveraged for team work. While clearly present, the whiskey flavor was by no means overtly pervasive. The bacon and chili were allowed their hour in the spotlight. In sum, the chili/bacon/bourbon trifecta perfectly complemented grilled pork and portabellas. The ITP resoundingly trumpeted the virtues of this charred pièce de résistance. Fire up and enjoy.
*The time is now- umamic must enter the English vernacular.