Hazy Fish Stick Chili
I can’t blame a daily Benzedrine habit for this chili, nor can I fault a circadian ritual of paint sniffing. (Incidentally, bennie365 and huffing365 are slated for 2015 and 2016, respectively). An early evening nap is culpable for this chili oddity. As the ingredients I had intended to use remained incased in an icy cocoon, I was forced to capitulate and contrive an alternative chili. Like a 133 mhz Penium encumbered by bloatware, I lurched into action.
1 box of fish sticks (24 oz)
1 T butter
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 T fresh ginger, minced
1 ¼ C vegetable juice
1 T chili powder
½ t cumin
2 t prepared horseradish
1 T sugar
½ t garlic pepper seasoning
¼ pickle relish
1/3 t sriracha sauce
1) Bake fish sticks according to package directions.
2) In a pot, brown garlic and ginger in melted butter.
3) To the pot, add remaining ingredients, with the exception of the fish sticks.
4) Simmer for 20 minutes.
5) Add cooked fish sticks.
6) Simmer 5 minutes.
7) Place on serving plates and quickly leave the dining room, lest your delicate ears catch hold of cacophony of complaining and gnashing of teeth that is certain to follow.
1) Mrs. Chili 365 refused to touch this chili unless it was completely smothered in tartar sauce.
2) Chili Junior was angry with Pre and decided to take it out on the chili. (Fortunately, Jr. liked the chili. Odds favored at least one of the kids inheriting the chili gene.)
3) Pirate went on a 12 minute diatribe during which she summarily dismissed ginger as edible foodstuff. Her eloquence and passion were, at times, moving, but I refuse to view ginger as anathema.
4) Pre is shady. He concealed his fork (leaving his chili on the plate [odd, right?]) and quietly left the house.
5) I thought it tasted ok but the texture was unusual. It seemed as if the fish sticks hopped into the chili and said “Hey, wanna get weird?”
Weird it was. William S Burroughs weird.